Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Device Manager "Scan For Hardware Changes" Issue
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 500976 posted on 17-1-2016 at 17:07 Reply With Quote
Device Manager "Scan For Hardware Changes" Issue

Device Manager "Scan For Hardware Changes" Issue

I have two listings in my Win 7 OS Device Manager that have been there since 'Day 1' when I did a clean reinstalled of this OS quite a number of years ago (pix attached). Clicking on either of these listings, and their "Properties" tab, provide zero information as to what they are referring to, and of course doing an update/search for their drivers also yields zero success.

As a practical matter, there are no devices that not working on my PC.

But every time some hardware issue occurs and I go to Device Manager, and perform a 'Scan For Hardware Changes', Windows compulsively insists that it also continue to look for drivers for these listings; this fruitless search takes 3-4 minutes and is a complete waste of my time, i. e., a symbol always comes up in the Task Bar with a green rotating circle telling me "Installing Device Driver Software" going round and round, until it finally tells me 'software was not installed'.

I really don't want to delete these two listings to stop these "Installing etc...." simply because they MIGHT, in actuality, do work as the drivers for some unknown piece of hardware, and then I would wind up keeping it from working.

FYI re Device Manager symbols: That black “!” on a yellow circle indicates that a device is missing, that Windows does not recognize the device, or that there’s some sort of device driver problem. The device may still work with this error.

So anyway how can I do a "Scan For Hardware Changes" and have it ignore these two listings?

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 500996 posted on 18-1-2016 at 11:18 Reply With Quote

http://unknown-device-identifier.en.lo4d.com

:D
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 501001 posted on 18-1-2016 at 15:25 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
http://unknown-device-identifier.en.lo4d.com
:D

OK, I did the download and the install was uneventful.

I got a list of devices in its own interface; the interface doesn't tell me how many devices are listed, but eyeballing there must be at least 75+. None of the listings said "unknown driver" (or anything to that effect). As an FYI (for anyone else whoever might use this program), some of the list items are for devices that I have, but are not presently plugged into my PC such as my digital camera. At the level of a complete guess, it looks to me that this device identifier program searches registry, i. e., as an example, I don't have software installed for my camera, but use the built in generic 'stuff' that comes with Win 7.

But the problem I'm having is that I can't figure out a way to match what the device driver identifier is listing with what I have in Windows Device Manager.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.