Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: What to do about my old dial-up service and e-mail provider?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 500923 posted on 14-1-2016 at 01:19 Reply With Quote
What to do about my old dial-up service and e-mail provider?

Years ago, I signed up for dial-up internet service and e-mail account for a low monthly rate. The service took the fee--it was less than $10--as a debit from my checking account. This cheap service also had adverts on their site when I logged on. You can imagine how pleased I was when they stopped the billing notices and the debits, but continued the service. I figured they had gone to advert-revenue support entirely, with dial-up mostly dying out.

Today, I got a billing notice telling me that I owed $54.75 which they had been unable to collect from the debit card they had on file (a card I had years ago, which would have expired by now, if I still had it). They asked me to pay quickly so my service would not be interrupted.

I have not used dial-up since Ruby persuaded me to get DSL, but I have continued to use the e-mail address and account I got through them. They could block my access to thousands of e-mails over several years, including attachments of some importance to me. I think they have offered free e-mail to anyone who cares to sign up for free, but I think a larger size of e-mail storage was part of the paid-for service when I signed up for it.

If anyone cares to look, the provider is http://www.juno.com .

According to the letter of the terms of use on their web site, it sounds as if they could back-bill me for the years when they failed to send me notice of any bills and failed to make their monthly collections.

I think the bill I just got is for six months at $7.95 per month.

What would you do in my situation?

If it makes any difference--they have my former address and phone number on file, from another town. I don't think it would be fair for them to charge me for services I haven't been using, and I would certainly have dumped them if I had been paying attention and thought I would be owing them for something when they had listed me as owing nothing for so many years. I'm sure they won't go after me, themselves. But, they might sell my bill to a debt collections agency. And, I would really hate to lose years of e-mails. Also, those who only know that e-mail address would not be able to reach me.

What do you recommend?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 500924 posted on 14-1-2016 at 01:29 Reply With Quote

I just looked at my own online billing information for Juno, and it doesn't look as bad as I thought. It says that my account was at 0.00 previous to this bill, and they are asking for 5 months for Juno Platinum. It looks like they are asking for payment for the next 5 months of service--so, they are not listing it as if I owe them for 5 months previous.

Now, I'm thinking perhaps they are cleaning up their lists, and checking to see if their subscribers are still around and willing to pay. Perhaps they have changed ownership, or have new management.

But, I still need to decide what to do.

I think, at the least, I need to start making copies of my most valued e-mail materials.

And, I'd better delete materials to get the e-mails down under what they allow to their free e-mail subscribers.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 500928 posted on 14-1-2016 at 03:59 Reply With Quote

Should be a no-brainer, Scholar. I always keep any mail that is critical on my own machine and in various backups. That way I maintain the ability to change supplier at my discretion.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.