Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: W10 network issues
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 500155 posted on 10-12-2015 at 06:22 Reply With Quote
W10 network issues

All of my PCs at home are running windoze 10. All have been set up with file sharing on the network. My main file server is hardwired to the router as is Wife's PC. My lappy and desktop PC are both connected via Wifi along with phones etc. All works well until I restart a computer. Typically my lappy. Suddenly my file server disappears off the network. Wife's PC even cannot see it on occasion. Sometimes a screen refresh will fix it, other times, I must open the network and search for the computer and drill down through a million drives and folders to find the folder that should be accessible via shortcut on the desktop. File and print sharing is on and password protected sharing is off. All are connected to the same "private" network. Occasionally I must re-start the modem to get it all working as it should again. TODAY, however, I had to restart every PC on the network to update AVG and install any missing Windoze updates (on one machine only - not the file server). Everything came back up, except the file server. Stupid thing is, the File server can see the other PCs on the network and can log into those, including my laptop. My laptop, however can only see the other PCs and not the File server. I'm running around like a chook with it's head cut off. Any suggestions as to what I could try. Even the other hard wired PC cannot see the file server though, if I log onto the Router all machines show up in the DCHP table.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 500156 posted on 10-12-2015 at 06:27 Reply With Quote

Just realised that the File Server cannot even see itself on the network!!!!!
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 500158 posted on 10-12-2015 at 11:06 Reply With Quote

We sometimes overlook the obvious...

Firewall?
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.