Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Georgia (USA) Twins Denied Motor Vehicle Learners Permit Because????
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 498872 posted on 23-10-2015 at 17:37 Reply With Quote
Georgia (USA) Twins Denied Motor Vehicle Learners Permit Because????

Full story here (and elsewhere via a search): http://wrbl.com/2015/10/23/georgia-twins-denied-drivers-permit-because-dmv-cant-tell-them-apart/

Story Summary (and commentary) By Me: a Georgia Dept of Motor Vehicles camera [using facial recognition tech] that was designed to keep illegal motor vehicle IDs from occurring (just about all USA licenses have your picture on it), i. e., by someone who lost their license for a motor vehicle offense, and then trying to get a new one under a phony name, was apparently not programmed to be able to tell twins apart. Thus these two teenage girls were denied (even though they showed up together) a permit. IMO facial recognition software is as techies say "immature technology".

So if you get arrested/questioned via a CCTV video that is run through facial recognition tech, it looks like you have a case (at least in a court) of claiming that the tech is wrong (not to mention a complete waste of taxpayer money unless of course the cops use it to intimidate someone by brainwashing them to believe that it doesn't make mistakes; NOT that I'm saying the cops would ever resort to using such tactics--no, I wouldn't say that on a public forum!!!).
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 498873 posted on 23-10-2015 at 18:39 Reply With Quote

Thumb print would solve it surely?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 498874 posted on 23-10-2015 at 19:10 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Thumb print would solve it surely?

To put it VERY mildly, the entire idea of having non-criminal activity requiring a fingerprint is anathema in the USA. I wouldn't begin to try to predict what the general public's reaction to same would be, but it would be, among the most vocal of the opponents, something with the potential to be violently negative.

My opinion I think reflects just how much of an adversarial relationship/lack of trust there is between the govt (at all levels of govt) and the general populace.

Part of the contradiction in terms of the relationship between the govt and the governed, is that many jobs in the USA require fingerprints to be taken of an applicant as part of a background check. Those fingerprints are on file in perpetuity.

While I'm at it, part of the contradiction is that the NSA's monitoring/collecting of phone calls/emails has barely stirred a negative reaction.

All is not well re Big Brother, but then again, hardly anyone feels that it is something that they, personally, need to put the time/energy into it to stem the tide. Privacy, and the right to same, seems to be of an academic level concern, and maybe irrelevant in day to day living concerns.

Hardly anyone that I know thinks of the NSA as the equivalent of the KGB/Stasi/ and the list of secret police type agencies goes on and on. I swear that it's a case of it can't/couldn't/has not happen here.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.