Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Recovering starred-out website password in Firefox
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 498621 posted on 10-10-2015 at 20:32 Reply With Quote
Recovering starred-out website password in Firefox

Ruby goes to a website maintained by her company to check her scheduled work hours. When we set up her personal access on the website (which allows her to see her own information), I did ask her to write down her password in case she forgot it, and I took the further precaution of checking the "remember password" box for the page. Since then, on Ruby's desktop computer, I have been getting the starred-out password on Firefox whenever I go to that log-in page, along with her ID (which is not starred out), so I only have to click on the log-in button.

Now, we want to use Ruby's handy laptop, but the characters that she thought to be the password do not get us in when we type them.

How do I recover them (them is plural for characters of the passord) from the Firefox browser on the desktop XP machine, so that I can type them in on the Windows 10 laptop?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 498625 posted on 10-10-2015 at 21:08 Reply With Quote

Oh, I think I found out how to do it.

I've got what I think I need, and I'm going to try it out on the laptop. If it works, I'll have it "remembered" there for Ruby's convenience.

I'm thinking, now, that I don't want to post how I did it, in case someone else using the desktop machine would use the method for other passwords. (I often leave a KF tab open on the machine.)
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 498626 posted on 10-10-2015 at 21:20 Reply With Quote

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bullets_password_view.html

Nirsoft have some exceedingly good tools. Beware using them, though, if you don't know what you're doing.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.