Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Exascale Computing
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 497172 posted on 1-8-2015 at 17:04 Reply With Quote
Exascale Computing

Exascale computing refers to computing systems capable of at least one exaFLOPS, or a billion billion calculations per second. Such capacity represents a thousandfold increase over the first petascale computer that came into operation in 2008 (One exaflops is a thousand petaflops or a quintillion, 1018, floating point operations per second). At a supercomputing conference in 2009, Computerworld projected exascale implementation by 2018. Enabling applications to fully exploit capabilities of Exascale computing systems is not straightforward.

Exascale computing would be considered as a significant achievement in computer engineering, for it is believed to be the order of processing power of the human brain at neural level (functional might be lower). It is for instance the target power of the Human Brain Project*.

*The Human Brain Project is a large 10-year scientific research project, established in 2013 and largely funded by the European Union, which aims to provide a collaborative informatics** infrastructure and first draft rodent and human whole brain models within its 10 year funding period.

**Informatics is the science of computer information systems. As an academic field it involves the practice of information processing, and the engineering of information systems. It studies the structure, algorithms, behaviour, and interactions of natural and artificial systems which store, process, access, and communicate information. The field considers the interaction between humans and information systems alongside the construction of computer interfaces. It also develops its own conceptual and theoretical foundations and utilizes foundations developed in other fields.

I have taken the liberty to inform said organizations that the entire KF body is ready & willing to provide free forum support whenever there are problems that need to be resolved. In a highly likely related matter, MS appears to be ready to announce the beginning of the development of Win 11--coincidence? I don't think so!! Ha Ha Ha

Thanks so much to Wikipedia for enlightening yours truly on matters that I was completely ignorant of as I read an article that needed a great deal of explaining as to what it was 'talking' about.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 497174 posted on 1-8-2015 at 17:43 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by JackInCT

I have taken the liberty to inform said organizations that the entire KF body is ready & willing to provide free forum support whenever there are problems that need to be resolved. In a highly likely related matter, MS appears to be ready to announce the beginning of the development of Win 11--coincidence? I don't think so!! Ha Ha Ha

Not sure about the "free" part if there is money to be had...:D
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 497177 posted on 1-8-2015 at 19:12 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Not sure about the "free" part if there is money to be had...:D

I am going to ask you to give some thought to reconsidering your position. My basic thesis is that "free" has some sort of a magical power in the human scheme of things, and that the organizers of these projects would take advantage of free help for no better reason than it's free.

Imagine, if you would, that the success of these projects can be, in no small way, attributed to KF's members selfless participation. Imagine all of us at KF finally meeting in Sweden when a Nobel Prize (in whatever category these projects would fit into) is awarded and all of us are in the audience (by invitation) basking in the glow of the media. Yes, from a postponing gratification perspective, trading off momentary monetary gain, for fame.

FYI: IMO it is better to have delusions of grandeur than no delusions at all.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.