Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Book vending in deprived areas of America
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 496588 posted on 10-7-2015 at 22:16 Reply With Quote
Book vending in deprived areas of America

D.C.

Quote:

You’ve probably heard the term ‘food desert’ – it’s used to describe areas, typically urban, where it’s difficult to access quality, affordable food – but some areas are ‘book deserts’ too. These are neighborhoods where kids may have access to libraries but lack the resources required for building a home library of their own.

Studies have shown that having books at home has a positive effect on test scores and makes kids more likely to read for pleasure throughout life. Proximity matters and there are lots of great programs that aim to get books into kids hands and keep them there.

Now, Jet Blue Airways is launching a pilot program in Southeast D.C. that aims to get books into homes. Starting Wednesday, July 8, their Soar with Reading program will stock three vending machines throughout the area with free books for kids.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 496595 posted on 10-7-2015 at 23:56 Reply With Quote

Unfortunately, I suspect that these machines are more likely to be vandalised than used properly. If kids are not encouraged to read at home, I doubt that machine giving free books is going to assist in that. Yes, I understand the poverty aspect, but that does not stop a person acquiring reading material.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.