Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: The internet can be a force for good or evil
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 496585 posted on 10-7-2015 at 19:52 Reply With Quote
The internet can be a force for good or evil

When I look at the vile reports/posts on some social media sites - mostly about one political party or another - it is easy to get disheartened.

However this story is worth retelling as it shows how some do good as a result of what they read.

Telegraph version

Quote:

Filipino boy receives scholarship after photograph of him studying on the street goes viral
The photo showed Daniel Cabrera, 9, doing his homework on a wooden stool placed close to a McDonald's window to catch the light from the store.

A homeless Filipino boy has been overwhelmed with aid after a photograph of him studying on the pavement using faint light from a McDonald's outlet went viral on the internet.
Nine-year-old Daniel Cabrera will now be able to fulfil his dream of becoming a policeman after donations of cash, school supplies and a college scholarship poured in, his mother, Christina Espinosa, said on Friday.

"We're overjoyed. I don't know what I will do with all of these blessings," said Ms Espinosa, a 42-year-old grocery store employee and domestic helper. "Now, Daniel will not have to suffer just to finish his studies."
The photograph, posted on Facebook last month by a college student, showed Daniel doing his homework on a wooden stool placed close to a McDonald's window to catch the light from the store.
The 20-year-old medical technology student, Joyce Torrefranca, captioned her Facebook post: "I got inspired by a kid."

It would be good if there was more of the good stuff - and less of the bad.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 496596 posted on 11-7-2015 at 00:01 Reply With Quote

Agreed. This, indeed, is a good story. Who knows, he may even decide to continue his studies beyond the requirements for law enforcement and become the next Louis Pasteur...... I wish him well.
the bear
Bears-r-Us

Theme: Purple

Mood: undecided

[*] Post 496640 posted on 12-7-2015 at 22:56 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
When I look at the vile reports/posts on some social media sites - mostly about one political party or another - it is easy to get disheartened.

However this story is worth retelling as it shows how some do good as a result of what they read.

Telegraph version

Quote:

Filipino boy receives scholarship after photograph of him studying on the street goes viral
The photo showed Daniel Cabrera, 9, doing his homework on a wooden stool placed close to a McDonald's window to catch the light from the store.

A homeless Filipino boy has been overwhelmed with aid after a photograph of him studying on the pavement using faint light from a McDonald's outlet went viral on the internet.
Nine-year-old Daniel Cabrera will now be able to fulfil his dream of becoming a policeman after donations of cash, school supplies and a college scholarship poured in, his mother, Christina Espinosa, said on Friday.

"We're overjoyed. I don't know what I will do with all of these blessings," said Ms Espinosa, a 42-year-old grocery store employee and domestic helper. "Now, Daniel will not have to suffer just to finish his studies."
The photograph, posted on Facebook last month by a college student, showed Daniel doing his homework on a wooden stool placed close to a McDonald's window to catch the light from the store.
The 20-year-old medical technology student, Joyce Torrefranca, captioned her Facebook post: "I got inspired by a kid."

It would be good if there was more of the good stuff - and less of the bad.

You need the dark to see the stars smokin:

Regards the Bear waveysmiley
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.