Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Help me know about installing a second printer driver
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 496179 posted on 27-6-2015 at 21:50 Reply With Quote
Help me know about installing a second printer driver

I have Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3, and was using an HP printer that served me well, before I moved to the city.

The power supply to that printer was somehow separated from it, and I haven't succeeded in tracking it down, yet. I knew I would have to print some documents today, so I picked up a printer at a church thrift shop for only $4.50. It is an HP Deskjet 5150, and it is the right vintage (2003) to work with XP. I also bought a new print cartridge, since the ones in the machine may have dried out/clogged in the time of no use--who knows how long it may have been on someone's shelf before they donated it?

I still hope to find the power supply to the printer I had been using. When I download the printer driver installation file from HP for the one I just bought, will it knock off the printer driver now on the computer? Will I be choosing which driver and printer each time I want to print? Or, will each printer claim its own driver when I plug in the USB cable?

I realize XP is some years back for several of you, but I hope your memories are accurate to advise me.

If there is a likelihood that the two drivers will interfere with each somehow, I could put the next printer on another XP computer and move the driver installation file on a USB stick. (That is, unless I need to be online to do it. I only have one computer hooked up to the internet right now.)

Here's hoping one of the computer geeks is here, now or shortly.waveysmiley
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

[*] Post 496180 posted on 27-6-2015 at 21:52 Reply With Quote

Oh! Oh! I just saw Jmb on the list!cheerieleadercheerieleadercheerieleader
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

[*] Post 496181 posted on 27-6-2015 at 22:11 Reply With Quote

:( As far as the display list shows, he has left.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.