Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Interpreting An OS System Integrity Checker Scan Results
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 495731 posted on 11-6-2015 at 13:41 Reply With Quote
Interpreting An OS System Integrity Checker Scan Results

While doing lengthy Google hits based research as to what's available to password protect/lock my android tablet (no data/phone plan just wifi) when I power it up (and to get some sense of just how easy it is for a malicious person to defeat any password system), I decided to also brush up on my understanding of the strenghts/limits of the password protection of the wifi part of my DSL modem, to include finding out whether any of my neighbors have breached my system.

I came across a blog that discussed this at very great length.

Included was a recommendation that I run a built into my Win OS "Check System Integrity Checker" command [no recollection of ever having used it]. The command, from the DOS prompt window is "sfc /scannow" [no quote marks if you use it].

So I ran it, and it took several minutes. Upon completion, it told me that it had detected "corrupt files" but was unable to 'fix them'. It also referred me to a report that was created by running the command called "cbs.log". It was a very large file of about 4000 KB.

I can make no sense, at my level of tech know how, of this log's entries. Furthermore, I'm not noticing any problems with any part of my OS.

Can anyone speak to the significance of the negatives of having a less than perfect sfc /scannow scan.
John Barnes
Radical Freethinker

Theme: Coffee

Mood: benign

[*] Post 495735 posted on 11-6-2015 at 19:17 Reply With Quote

If you have the system disc put that in and run cmd type in sfc scannow and any corrupt files should be deleted and replaced from the system disk
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 495743 posted on 12-6-2015 at 08:39 Reply With Quote

Wot John sed!imwithstoopid
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.