Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Ha! Up yours, Windows! :P
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 495696 posted on 10-6-2015 at 12:05 Reply With Quote
Ha! Up yours, Windows! :P

Been getting Windows Update failures, for a while, now, due to the stoopid way that it handles temp files. "Not enough free space on C:", it screams. I've always wondered why you can't force it to use another drive, which has more space. After all, my C: drive only has stuff on that HAS to be there, coz Windoze demands it. Bloody nuisance that you can't get rid of space-hogging crap that you'll never use, like Internet explorer, Windows mail, Windows Media Player, Windows Journal, Windows Photo Viewer and all that crap, too, innit?

Well, it seems that you can!

If you open a DOS window and type "set", then hit Enter, you'll see a load of guff. In there, you'll see what directories are used for both Temp and TMP. Both will be in your "Users" directory, under "Local settings".

Control Panel>System>Advanced system settings. Open the "Advanced" tab and open "Environment variables".

In the top thingy, you'll see the paths to both of those directories.

I set them both to I:\TemporaryFiles, as that drive has 138 GB of space, and WAHAY! Updates successful. :)

C: has an inordinate amount of space free, now, too.

So, if you need to free-up some space, on your C: drive, now you know how.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 495700 posted on 10-6-2015 at 14:08 Reply With Quote

If you want to you can also set the defaults for your documents, music et al to other drives, too. Most of my stuff is defaulted to a separate drive on my server so that if I have to blow everything away and start again, I don't have to worry about backups.

FWIW Right click on My Documents, select Porperties and click on the File Location Tab, from there it should be pretty evident what you can do.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 495704 posted on 10-6-2015 at 14:50 Reply With Quote

Hmmm... Must be new, that. I did it with XP and Windows update simply refused to work.

Off to try that...

Ta, Leigh!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.