Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: FYI: How to Check Your Motherboard Model & Serial Number on Your PC
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 495673 posted on 9-6-2015 at 20:09 Reply With Quote
FYI: How to Check Your Motherboard Model & Serial Number on Your PC

A query to tech support taught me (new news to me) that mobos have a serial number (not just a model number). For proactive police stolen goods report work, I did some Google based research. Came up with this tutorial URL, and found out what works/what doesn't.

http://www.howtogeek.com/208420/how-to-check-your-motherboard-model-number-on-your-windows-pc/

Feedback (on this URL): Also "Join The Discussion" Comments (11 of them) are well worth the read since there is bound to be variations (and subjective preferences) among various PCs, and their end users.

Among the recommendations, I already had these 3 installed, and this is what I found:

(1) Speccy (CCleaner developer): no serial number, but plenty of system utility type info,

(2) HWiNFO: no serial number, but plenty of system utility type info,

(3) CPUID CPU-Z: no serial number, but plenty of system utility type info.

The command line on this URL worked (gave me a serial &, NO, I didn't open up my PC case to see if it matched what's hopefully printed on my mobo somewhere). Also re-learned how to direct the output to a text file (archive it material). The attached image file is what the URL has for the command line plus my direct to print stuff (made up text file name, i. e., call it what you will).

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 495685 posted on 10-6-2015 at 08:56 Reply With Quote

Thanks, Jack that could be useful.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 495698 posted on 10-6-2015 at 13:17 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Thanks, Jack that could be useful.

In my rant re Crime & Punishment, et al, I did not mention that of all the crimes reported to police, burglary has the lowest success rate [as inTINY single digits] of either catching the crook(s), or recovering the stolen goods. And even if you have insurance, most policies pay out an amortized value of the stolen property, and at the level of a guess, I would think that a stolen computer, even if it's only a few years old, would get a very small payout from insurance.

And also at the level of a guess, I would think that most burglars are not going to try to find (as willing to put their time into it) something on your PC (presuming that you don't encrypt/password anything) that they can blackmail (extortion) you for; but you never know!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.