Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: QR (Quick Response Code) Technology
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 494701 posted on 25-4-2015 at 17:37 Reply With Quote
QR (Quick Response Code) Technology

I'm posting this as a separate topic from my NFC topic post, since some viewers on Karls Forums may be using them, and can speak to that.

QR and NFC tech have some capabilities (for home users) in common.

For those unfamiliar with QR, all you need to read a code (and there are multiple ways of you winding up with one) is a free scanner app on your phone & to then read it via the phone's built in camera (and you can create your own QR codes for free [either online or some scanner apps have a codegenerator])

It seems to me that the biggest advantage of using QR is that there are a number of smartphones/tablets out in the real world WITHOUT NFC capability (no one seems willing to venture a guess as just how many users don't have that capability with their current phones). I checked out the Samsung line of tablets today, and via a Chat with a customer service rep, the ones available in USA don't have NFC capability.

The possibilities for QR uses, as is for NFC uses, is only limited by one's fertile imagination (with some stimulation from Google hits/YouTube videos).

The following URL (for free code generation) shows on the left side, a large number of data types that can be turned into QR codes (and applications),

http://www.qrstuff.com/

The attached word processing file (and I'm not sure this file format will work) has a QR code embedded in it with a small touch of humor, i. e., as an example, imagine if you will, leaving a message via a printout for a significant other, and counting on their curiosity to actually read it in a timely fashion.

Attachment: QR Tech Sample Printout Letter.rtf (94.81kb)
This file has been downloaded 114 times
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 494756 posted on 27-4-2015 at 08:46 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by JackInCT
The attached word processing file (and I'm not sure this file format will work) has a QR code embedded in it with a small touch of humor, i. e., as an example, imagine if you will, leaving a message via a printout for a significant other, and counting on their curiosity to actually read it in a timely fashion.

:D
That's cleverkewl_glasses

Other QR codes I've tried took me to a website.
This one's more fun:D
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 494760 posted on 27-4-2015 at 13:23 Reply With Quote
NFC & QR Best Practices

One of the realties of ANY digital tech is if/when the tech itself is a 'solution in search of a problem'.

As I noted, NFC's dominant use (outside of health care/industrial/manufacturing/etc.) is a payment system. BUT using either of these techs to 'enhance' what we are already doing (for the same task) is no guarantee that they will be well received, i. e., appreciated, etc., by the recipient.

Example: there are typical business size cards that have a QR code printed on them (with the sky's the limit re what you have stored in the code) [toinclude having a series of highly customized QR coded cards on your person]. That's no guarantee that anyone who you give one to will ever scan the code, and assuming they will is naive. Best practices means that, if it's that important to you to have the recipient of the card contact you, you will be forced to develop multiple strategies for that to occur; and from a best practices perspective, multiple contact strategies can wind up that you're perceived as a pest, i. e., the human equivalent of spam.

There is undoubtedly a "WOW" factor in NFC & QR; but 'wow' is superficial/trendy and likely to be short lived re relevant.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.