Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: DIY Repair To CPU Heatsink Fan Question
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 494335 posted on 11-4-2015 at 19:09 Reply With Quote
DIY Repair To CPU Heatsink Fan Question

This a question re a DIY repair to my desktop PC AMD processor air cooled CPU heatsink fan.

So the CPU fan stops turning (I have a small utility installed that shows in sys tray the temp of each of the 4 processors).

For a while I was able to manually flip & turn the fan blades (which meant taking the side cover off the PC) so that they would, with enough flips, spin fast enough to keep the temp down; that work-around stopped working (not to mention that it got real old having to do that).

I did the usual YouTube re fan repair (CPU and other types), and discovered that there are various ways that the fan, and its shaft (rotor), are attached to the fan housing (I figured maybe all that it needed was a good cleaning); anyway since the fan had stopped turning, I figured a homemade repair couldn't ruin anything that wasn't working at all. Well it turned out that the blades, and its rotor shaft, were simply forced inserted inside the fan housing, i. e., it just popped in (and of course out to remove it). Obviously a top of the line premium item.

But sooner or later (more like sooner), the fans slows down and then stops (including not starting when I turn the PC on). Over the succeeding weeks I have tried a variety of lubricants (to coat the shaft/rotor), and they all work rather well (as in like new as evidenced by the temp utility)--for a while. I have no idea why their life "span" is so short, i. e., the system is not overheating. I have tried sewing machine oil & garage door silicon lubricant (and yes I gradually increased the quantity that I was applying). Given the short term nature of my results, I'm ready to try grease. By the way, I don't think that there is any real danger that any lubricant that I use will catch on fire (I'm using tiny amounts).

I'm wondering about using the kind of grease that's used to lubricate a car's suspension (that pretty thick stuff that car shops used)--BUT there are all kinds of grease in use in the real world (such as petroleum jelly)? Any alternative ideas to car grease?

Final note: there are NO ungodly noises being make by the CPU fan when it's running, i. e., based on the lack of noise, I don't think that I have an 'unbalanced' shaft & that's the real reason why the lubricants aren't lasting very long.
victor
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: retired

[*] Post 494336 posted on 11-4-2015 at 19:36 Reply With Quote

I would hazard a guess that although you said it is cool running the friction on the spindle is creating heat so suggest you need high temperature grease.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 494337 posted on 12-4-2015 at 00:03 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
I would hazard a guess that although you said it is cool running the friction on the spindle is creating heat so suggest you need high temperature grease.

Your suggestion got me searching Goggle and most of the hits for high temp grease were supplied by auto parts type stores, and those would be readily available in my locale.

In addition, the auto parts hits got me thinking (for the first time) about using motor oil. Any idea of the negatives about using motor oil?

I also should have mentioned that my PC is NOT (and never has been) overclocked, etc.,. It came, originally, with a CPU heatsink heatpipe setup that I presume has kept the whole system considerably cooler than a "typical" non-heatpipe system (not to mention that the thermal paste has been doing its job all along).
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.