Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Aquarium advice from the pet store
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 493419 posted on 8-2-2015 at 18:09 Reply With Quote
Aquarium advice from the pet store

I have had guppies die from time to time, and a pet store clerk suggested that the balance between male and female guppies should be three females to each male. The idea seems to be that a male will wear out a female if the ratio is one-to-one, but that the tired females will do better if the males divide their time among more girlfriends.

My Ruby loves the antics of Chinese algae eaters, whom she sees as silly clowns, but we had poor luck keeping them alive long-term. The pet store clerk told me that they might need to have algae tablets put into the aquarium tank, if the water seemed to be too clean. I have put one tablet in it every day or every few days. But, though the tablets say they are for bottom-feeders, some of the guppies hit them as soon as they see them.:oconfused2

Does anyone here have experience with either of these topics?

I might add--I used to use tap water, after it had set out long enough for the chlorine to evaporate, and my tank looked greener. I have been using the pure water from the machine at the grocery store for this tank, and the water does not have the greenish cast.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 493428 posted on 9-2-2015 at 00:05 Reply With Quote

The "pure" water from the machine at the grocery store may the culprit, there may actually be other additives in the water which are not suitable for the fish. Personally, I'd go back to the tap water and treat it as suggested by the fish shop.

FWIW would it not be easier just to buy your fish from the fish monger than trying to grow your own????? ;)
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 493432 posted on 9-2-2015 at 03:09 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
The "pure" water from the machine at the grocery store may the culprit, there may actually be other additives in the water which are not suitable for the fish. Personally, I'd go back to the tap water and treat it as suggested by the fish shop.

FWIW would it not be easier just to buy your fish from the fish monger than trying to grow your own????? ;)

The water from the machine is purified by several steps, including carbon filtration and reverse osmosis. It has no additives at all; everything the machine does is to provide pure water, without biological, mineralogical, or chemical contaminants.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.