Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Long Story :PC now won't boot!
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 492559 posted on 3-1-2015 at 13:08 Reply With Quote
Long Story :PC now won't boot!

[RANT mode] I thought I'd finally tidy up my media server PC. It is built into a shelf on a bookshelf in the Lounge room. To make it fit into the shelf I had to mount the Mobo on an angle with the various peripherals sitting along side it. I intially mounted the DVD drive inside the "drawer" (so I can get to the various connectors etc.) but, given its location, was impractical and noisy as hell). I thought I'd use today, because it was so hot outside to fix this by a) remounting the mobo a little more solidly and b)mounting a new Blu-Ray drive in the front of the "drawer". From there it's all been downhill!!!!!![/RANT]

Now to the problem, to secure everything I had to remove the MOBO and it's mounting (a section of an old case that I cannibalised) to remount the stand. I also had to cut a hole in the "drawer" face to mount the drive. So far, so good, all went swimmingly until I went to put the drawer back into place. I had mounted the MOBO 1mm too high, so I could not shut the drawer. I pull the whole assembly apart again to move it down, so far, so good. I plug everything back in again and then my troubles start!!! The bloody system booted, but Windoze swore at me and wanted to perform a startup repair, after that! SFA! It powered down and would not power up again. I swapped PSUs and the thing still wouldn't power up, nada, zip. Surely I didn't stuff the MOBO! Anyway, I replaced the MOBO (GA770 - UD3) with an ASUS (P5QL-EPU). I can, now, at least, see power! Doesn't matter which PSU I use the bloody thing won't POST! It powers up and then promply shuts down in a never ending cycle, no beeps, no nothing. I even decided to force it to fail by unplugging all RAM and every Drive (all 9 of them!) What gives me the s***s is that the bloody thing was working nicely before I decided to "improve" it!

Can anyone suggest anything? I suppose, I should replace the Video Card as that's the only component that hasn't changed, bit it doesn't even get that far.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 492576 posted on 3-1-2015 at 18:12 Reply With Quote

The 24pin connector and the 8pin power connector are both connected?

Fan spinning?

Do you have the flat, 4-pin plug, to connect to the EZ thingy on the PSU? Some, like mine, need that extra connection to the GFX card. Although, that will usually let you get past POST, at least. Should even boot, but with inferior graphics.
John Barnes
Radical Freethinker

Theme: Coffee

Mood: benign

[*] Post 492594 posted on 4-1-2015 at 00:42 Reply With Quote

I know this may sound weird but with moving things, the old paste seal between the heat sink and the processor may only be making intermittent contact and as fast as you boot up it cuts out with heat not being dispersed also reseat your memory chips, as Katzy says it a matter of try everything methodically, if worse comes to worse will you be able to boot from your system cd?. and horrors on horror, reinstall , as you know diagnosing from 12 000 miles away is just a shot in the dark.
Usually there are pins on the mother board where you can disconnect them and put them on to the pair next to them for a few seconds this is called flushing or clearing the CMOS to return your board back to default
power off system set jbat1 pin to 1-2 closed
after 2-3 seconds return J bat 1pin to pin 2-3 closed
Cmos data is returned to default NEVER clear Cmos when system power is on hope this helps jmb
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.