Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Aquarium water
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 491922 posted on 15-12-2014 at 00:50 Reply With Quote
Aquarium water

I usually buy water from a machine at one of the Kroger grocery stores. You bring your own water jug/bottle, and there are three ways the machine processes the water to make it pure, more cheaply than the classic "distilled water." It costs half the price of a similar bottle of water still sealed at the store.

I asked Ruby to get some water, and poured some of what she brought into our tropical fish aquarium. I expected her to get some from the machine

I just noticed that the water she brought home says it is municipal-source water (tap water, essentially) that has been carbon-filtered and ozonated.

I'm sure that the water machine water had three processes, not two. I'm wondering if this water is pure enough for my fishies.

I do have a carbon filter and bio-filter on my aquarium. I want any water I add to replace evaporation to be essentially mineral-free, so that the minerals in the water do not become increasingly concentrated.

[Yes, Marymary, I could look it up, and will do so if no one volunteers information. But it may serve as a topic of conversation here.];)

I remember when when we had a sub-forum dedicated to pond fish.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 491933 posted on 15-12-2014 at 10:26 Reply With Quote

Well, I'm not an expert but we did have some fish once. What I learnt was that you can use tap water but not straight away. You have to splash it into the pond/tank to get the flouride and stuff out and then leave it for a while before puttting the fish in. Or you could fill a bucket with water from a great height so it splashes a lot and then leave it a day or so.

But what do I know.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 491948 posted on 15-12-2014 at 22:59 Reply With Quote

You are correct, John. It's years since I had fish, but tap water can be used only after being "sterilised" by letting sit in a bucket for some time and the addition of a chemical neutraliser for the chlorine and flouride that was added to our water. (At the time I lived in the tropics so chlorine was necessary to minimise algal growth.) Be aware that the water temp must also be equalised with that in the aquarium.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.