Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: I'm back with late 20th century technology
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 490912 posted on 8-11-2014 at 22:13 Reply With Quote
I'm back with late 20th century technology

My wife and I decided that our Comcast arrangement was too expensive, and we had been told by a son that he was used to paying $60 per month for DISH for TV, with DVR features ("hopper" is what they call their tech), and fast internet.

When we looked at adverts, there were introductory offers for DISH for $20 per month and internet for $15 per month. But, these offers turned out to be phony, as far as we could tell. DISH TV with DVR and an additional connection for a second TV was $58, according to the installer, and we could get DSL internet most cheaply for $20 per month.

DSL!shocked_yellow Isn't that the older, slower tech that many businesses went to in the early internet years, because the phone companies would send it through their wiring cheaply? At least, that is what commercials for other tech seem to claim, when they say you can get faster internet through their cable or satellite connections for a little more money.

Since none of the computers at this home are the fastest, anyway, it may not make much difference to us, if it is a little slower.

Can anyone tell me how to check my real speed, on this hookup?

Can I expect any real disadvantage, if it is a little slower? It seems to me there might be a problem if I watch something that is streaming and the feed cannot keep up. I had that kind of problem with streaming audio through my telephone modem.

DISH internet through their receiver is faster, but costs more. They have a deal with a phone company, Frontier, that allows them to bill us on the same bill as the DISH providers.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 490914 posted on 8-11-2014 at 22:30 Reply With Quote

http://www.speedtest.net/
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 490917 posted on 8-11-2014 at 22:54 Reply With Quote

"As is" (having skipped the suggestion to try to improve my speed before taking the test), my download speed was 2.10 Mbps and my upload was .41 Mbps.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.