Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Running at a deficit
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 490087 posted on 5-10-2014 at 22:44 Reply With Quote
Running at a deficit

My father's church is running at a deficit of around 1000 per month. At their AGM they were talking about where the money is going. Some of it goes on heating, lighting etc, wages of the minister and in sending money overseas to three different charities.

Personally I think they need to get their house in order and plan for the funds they have available. Whilst I think the charities are worthwhile I think they should be funded separately by the parishioners rather than directly by the church in the hope that people will stump up. The congregation is dwindling and the minister will not charge for funerals etc.

What do you think? Continue to run at a deficit in the hope that some rich benefactor will stump up or leave a donation in their will or cut their cloth according to their means?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 490090 posted on 5-10-2014 at 23:14 Reply With Quote

In my experience, members of congregations seem to have a more willing heart to donate money for "missions," but they aren't moved to give for mundane local expenses such as office supplies, painting lines on the parking lot, etc.

There is a theological consideration here: people who only wish to give if they like the way the money is spent are sort of giving it with strings attached. In First Testament times (as one of my Hebrew professors liked to say), the offering was given to Yahweh as a sacrifice, something you were giving up. Yahweh designated some such offerings to be completely burned up--the purpose was not in its final use, but in the act of giving up something of value to the One from whom it came.

I hold that finances must follow theology, that Christian giving is to be motivated by what the Lord teaches and one's relationship with Him, not by the urgency of bills to pay.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 490091 posted on 5-10-2014 at 23:30 Reply With Quote

Your church closed though. The local needs must be met before the three overseas projects are considered. Either that or the Rector takes a pay cut or starts charging for hatches, matches and dispatches. The last open day fund raiser was for charity. My dad, my daughter and I all donated. There were historical reenactments, craft fair stalls, coffee and cake and even so they only raised about 300. There are obviously lots of people working hard but not much to show for it at the end of the day.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.