Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Ad Blocker in IE11
Sparry
Familiar Face

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Very Good

[*] Post 489828 posted on 25-9-2014 at 19:14 Reply With Quote
Ad Blocker in IE11

Is there an Ad Blocker in IE11? If so, I would like to turn it off for a particular site. Can anyone explain how to do this?

Thanks in advance.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 489829 posted on 25-9-2014 at 19:58 Reply With Quote

Not by default. There's a pop-up blocker, though. You can configure it from the "Tools" menu.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 489837 posted on 25-9-2014 at 21:08 Reply With Quote
Some Alternative Suggestions

In the FYI column: there is free software called "Adblock Plus" at the following URL--https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/

I've used it for several years (in IE and Firefox) and it is available for a number of different browsers. I wouldn't, technically speaking, call it a bona fide full blown ad blocker, but it certainly does block websites from knowing more about your surfing habits than you care for them to know (and I certainly wouldn't presume that it's perfect or creates the equivalent of "private browsing" [and similar terminology in other browsers]). At the level of wishful thinking I hope it adds another level of privacy when you use private browsing.

A copy and paste from the homepage of their website states:

The EasyList subscriptions are lists of filters designed for Adblock Plus that automatically remove unwanted content from the internet, including annoying adverts, bothersome banners and troublesome tracking. The subscriptions are currently maintained by four authors, Fanboy, MonztA, Famlam and Khrin, who are ably assisted by an ample forum community.

The links listed below allow you to select subscriptions for use in your browser provided that you are using the Firefox add-on Adblock Plus, the Chrome equivalent Adblock Plus for Chrome or the Opera equivalent Adblock Plus for Opera. Furthermore, EasyPrivacy Tracking Protection List is available for Internet Explorer 9 and higher. [end quote]

I especially like a free program called "Ghostery" for Firefox since it 'kills' the trackers (and you can see what they are via a momentary pop up window when you land on a any webpage) that you face on websites (including this one), but which also can be turned 'on' [individually] if you needone of the tracker to access 'content' [and you certainly aren't going to circumvent using cookies using this software]. For some reason the developers of Ghostery have not come out with a version for IE 11 (but there is one for previous IE versions).

IMO the one and only way that you can EVER begin to 'enjoy' 'anonymous surfing' is to use a site/service that does that, and I certainly wouldn't presume that they're perfect. Big Brother [and not just governments either] is hard at work FULL TIME trying, by one means or another, to find out as much about you as they can, employing every digital 'trick' known to man.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.