Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: My PC had a trojan
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 489684 posted on 21-9-2014 at 00:51 Reply With Quote
My PC had a trojan

My internet went down for a few days (someone might check how long I have been absent, I don't remember if it started Thursday night or Friday morning). I could not connect, and my error messages said that I was not managing to connect, or to get a valid IP address. Clicking on "repair" did not help, nor did unplugging or restarting the computer or the modem. The over-the-phone help gave every suggestion he could, and said the next step would be to send a technician to my home. I asked if there would be a charge for that, and he said, "Well, we'd only charge you if the problem is on your end. If the technician finds the problem is with us, Comcast, and fixes it, his visit is free."

I was reluctant to risk having to pay for a service visit, so I didn't authorize one.

Today, a man from Comcast came by to collect equipment which had been rented to the parolee who stayed with us for some months. But, that man had turned it in, leaving it in the drop box as instructed (so, he has no receipt). And, he is no longer with us.

But, Ruby mentioned our internet isn't working, and the equipment collection guy said he used to be on internet tech. He came in, looked at Ruby's computer, and got it running. He said there was a trojan computer virus blocking the connection process. He removed it.

He also suggested we remove Avast! and get AVG instead. I'm reluctant to do so, as Avast! has done well for me for many years--this is the first time something has gotten past it.

What do you fellows think?
waffler
Proud to be called a BRIT

Theme: KF Blue

[*] Post 489685 posted on 21-9-2014 at 01:05 Reply With Quote

Keep avast
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 489691 posted on 21-9-2014 at 01:29 Reply With Quote

Avast is well regarded and is currently one of the best freebies there is. That said, I have used AVG for years and never had any issues. A Trojan is, as its name suggests, a Trojan Horse, it can't get in, unless you give it "permission". No anti-ANYTHING can prevent you from installing and running a program that might be harmful. I'd suggest that you, or one of your other users has received/downloaded something that had a hidden payload and then attempted to open it. Safe surfing habits include ensuring that everything that is downloaded/opened is from a reputable source to start with.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.