Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Using IE!
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 486973 posted on 9-6-2014 at 05:50 Reply With Quote
Using IE!

Can't wait to get back to Firefox! Daughter-in-law has just passed over her old lappy to me and am in the process of making recovery media to blow it all away and start again. I bought a spindle of DVDs to burn the recovery disks to and gave up after about 10 of them failed to burn. Now creating recovery on a memory stick (at least Toshiba thought of that). Hopefully, then, I can get a working lappy that will be identical to my old one, in all but severy ways. i.e. NO dead pixels three filly functional USB ports, and a full set of attached, and working keys! The only thing that would make the machine perfect, then would be if the battery held a charge, but I'm not complaining as the machines are almost identical in every respect. I can't, however, use my original recovery media as one disk has decided it no longer wants to work, so, here's hoping!
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 486983 posted on 9-6-2014 at 11:33 Reply With Quote

"Free" is "Free", after all!

I got my lappy for nothing, as it 'appens. Jane's boss decided it was too slow, for him. He asked Jane if I wanted it, for bits, as it were.

Silly sod only had 512mb of RAM...

Upped that to a coupla gig and it's fine. :)

It's quite old, now. http://www.productreview.com.au/p/acer-travelmate-240-series.html

But, hey! "Free and working" works, for me. :D

I'd never buy a lappy, myself, even if I could afford one.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 487008 posted on 10-6-2014 at 10:23 Reply With Quote

Turns out that that the optical drive may have been a dud, fortunately my old box was close enough in spec that I was able to remove my working drive and plug it into hers. Even my battery, which, at least, holds some charge, fits. So I now have a "new"ish laptop. I might even consider looking for some new batteries on evilBay.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.