Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Anyone have experience with bits of fruit?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 486627 posted on 25-5-2014 at 14:35 Reply With Quote
Anyone have experience with bits of fruit?

I've been given an iMac (I think) to give it a once over and ensure it is up to date (software patches, AV) etc. Anyone here have any ideas of what I need to check? I've used a mac in the past (back in the day when Windows 95 was king - I sold IBMs but I had a mac on my desk ;))
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 486645 posted on 26-5-2014 at 09:25 Reply With Quote

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/imac/intel/downloads seems the obvious place to start.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 486667 posted on 27-5-2014 at 04:12 Reply With Quote

I think I've got it sussed. I could not install anything initially as I did not have a password. It appears that the machine is third hand having originally been part of a medical practice. The person who set the machine up had password protected the administration side of things. so installing new stuff was going to be fun. Anyway after several attempts it popped up a password hint which, surprise, surprise, was the password!
So, connected online and clicked on "update" and it updated everything (well, sort of). The only update was flash player apparently.

Somehow I managed to clobber safari (IE equivalent) during my cleanup and, of course that meant I could not, then, get onto the 'net. Anyway, I've managed to download a mac version of Opera on my lappy and transfer it using a USB key. From there all went pretty smoothly. Parts of the iMac appeal, but the "closed" nature of Apple products far outweigh any percieved "advantages".

On thing that seems comforting, or downright scary, depending upon your perspective, is the fact that the common thread in the Mac forums that I have read seem to indicate that AV programs are unnecessary.

According to the Mac website I should have been able to access recovery mode by pressing <Command> + "R" during boot up. Sort of like pressing <F5> during boot up. Never happened despite many and varied key combinations so I had to clean up the existing stuff. There doesn't even appear to be any formal "add/remove" programs option either.

Anyway, all seems ok, so will return to the owner whit the following caveat: All care, no responsibility......;)
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.