Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Internet in the house
grayles

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: lurking

[*] Post 483905 posted on 7-2-2014 at 11:43 Reply With Quote
Internet in the house

Following on from a couple of other threads on here got me thinking about how much we rely on the internet nowadays.
Thinking about last night, myself, partner and five children (three of my own and two guests).
Daughter and boyfriend- one laptop connected to TV, streaming and watching a film straight from the internet, two smartphones constantly updating (facebook ect).
Son one watching tv via Iplayer , playing online game on laptop, and one smartphone.
Son two and guest, playing an online game while watching Utube videos on pc of other people playing same game to see how to do it, Also using his tablet to Skype with other friends. One smartphone (possibly two, not sure what his friend had).
Myself and partner watching a movie on tv, streaming from laptop not direct from the internet but originally downloaded. Myself using laptop, partner on tablet. One smartphone.
No, we donít have a smart fridge. But there are several more units in the house that do use the internet when In use.
We did have some trouble with the internet going off for a few minutes at a time a few weeks ago (been ok since I changed the channel on router), but I could always tell when this happened from the cries of dismay that would come from all over the house.
I know I am combining two different things, internet and wifi, but it does make me wonder how much we rely on it from the ease of instantly answering questions to the entertainment abilities. But I think there would be a big gap in our household without it.
Before anyone says , yes we do interact as a family a lot in the home, playing board, card and other games, reading and such, and the kids do interact with others out of the house and offline (though Iím sure not as much as previous generations).
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 483906 posted on 7-2-2014 at 11:51 Reply With Quote

broadband use is monitored by the suppliers and they do sometimes curb the use by excessive users. But I take your point. I have to say that we have wifi at our caravan club and that is very slow - due mainly to the distance from the exchange. But it does sliightly annoy me when some users have their computers constantly streaming radio or tv stuff which I'm sure hogs bandwidth and slow everything down.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 483908 posted on 7-2-2014 at 11:56 Reply With Quote

Our exchange got fibre-optic cabling, recently.

Our connection's a bit faster. But, the main thing, is that it never slows down, now.

:D:D:D
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.