Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Computer seems to be starting, then monitor goes dark.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 483527 posted on 26-1-2014 at 00:23 Reply With Quote
Computer seems to be starting, then monitor goes dark.

When I turn on my Windows XP Pro computer, it does not dependably boot up and go to my desktop. Instead, it sometimes shoes the introductory words (something like the date and company of the BIOS, then where it is looking for the OS, and a report of how much RAM it has (128 Mb)), after which the monitor screen goes dark.

The monitor seems to work fine. When the screen goes black, does that signify the graphics/video chip is not working? Or, does it signify failure to boot the OS? Or something else?

Right now, I don't have speakers hooked up, so I am not hearing the usual pattern of start-up noises, either.:(

What do you think?

P.S. I believe I remember having more RAM than that. Does that mean one or more of my RAM sets have failed, and the computer is limping along on what is left?

I sure would like to get a better computer for my personal use. I'm thinking I could get one with a position open into which I could put my present largest hard drive, and access my docs, pics, etc. without having to copy them all again.
John Barnes
Radical Freethinker

Theme: Coffee

Mood: benign

[*] Post 483529 posted on 26-1-2014 at 00:43 Reply With Quote

128 Mb) of memory thats not enough to light a 1 cent bulb .lol even your mate leigh will tell you to get more than that i'm sure, you have to have over 4 gigabytes not megabytes of ram to do anything with a 64 bit systemshocked_yellow

ps is your hard drive measured in kilobytes?

and yes it looks like a ram stick has gone kaput
John Barnes
Radical Freethinker

Theme: Coffee

Mood: benign

[*] Post 483530 posted on 26-1-2014 at 00:57 Reply With Quote

What i would do (no not throw it in the skip) but sounds good to me
1 take out one stick of ram(presuming you have two at least) and see if the computer still works
2 then try the other stick see if the computer still works make sure both the sticks are pressed firmly into their sockets if both are working

3 make sure that your graphics card is pressed firmly into it slot they suffer from creepage
make sure all you cables are firmly connected

judging by the age of your components they may have given up the ghost they are well past their sell by date anyhow thats about it if your Bios has gone it looks like another mother board if you have no speakers you will miss out on the beep codes which point you to a solution good luck jmb

ps you cant just put another hard drive into you computer as microsoft in their wisdom have set ten strings to stop this procedure it is illegal unless you know what you are doing you cant copy the xp system onto another hard drive unless you completely wipe your disc and install from scratch but you will have to have a systems disc there are ways but i cant say on an open forum, you would have the admin shooting me, jmb
waggyfingerwaggyfingerwaggyfinger
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.