Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: More Biblical archeology
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 482313 posted on 2-1-2014 at 01:25 Reply With Quote
More Biblical archeology

Here.
An inscription has reportedly been deciphered, thought to have been written in the 10th century BC, found in Jerusalem.

The explanation seems credible to me. I will be interested in learning whether other scholars agree with the proposed meaning.

Why would it be so difficult to decipher? Very possibly, because the appearance of the alphabetic letters varied over the centuries.

Hebrew can be a difficult language, anyway, because of the lack of vowels. For several centuries, now, Hebrew Bibles have had vowel pointing, a system of marks intended to indicate the vowels which the reader is to supply in his pronunciation.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 482331 posted on 2-1-2014 at 12:18 Reply With Quote

I have to admit to finding it a bit funny, when people regard such things as definitive proof of their theories.

As with anything, of this nature, it's all down to "Interpretation".
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 482332 posted on 2-1-2014 at 12:29 Reply With Quote

Arabic doesn't have vowels apart from the alif which is why it is difficult to discern meaning at first reading. There are more consonants but letters are written differently depending on whether they appear at the start, middle or end of a word which all leads to confusion for the newcomer to the language. I was told that that the Iraqi accent is closest to the accent that would have been used at the time of the prophet, evidenced by the way the Qur'an is said aloud.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.