Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Scholar's opinions on health care technology
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 479180 posted on 3-11-2013 at 12:09 Reply With Quote
Scholar's opinions on health care technology

The key to really common use of technology is to make it cheap. (Usually, to make it affordable is a middle step along the way.)

This is one of the key problems with health care technology. Cheap, widely-used health care treatments (like ibuprofen for inflammation, aspirin for headaches, tylenol for fever) seem rare, compared to expensive, specialized drugs and surgeries. The quandry is, the development of the drugs is financed by the profits to be made while the drug is still under patent. In the U.S., it is terribly expensive to prove that a drug is both effective and harmless, before a government board will approve it for use. And, based on the terribly expensive lawsuits against companies whose drugs are blamed for harm, the board still lets harmful drugs through, anyway, and the expense of the payouts must be met by profits from those drugs or others made by the same company.

I think the public would be better served if the expenses of development were brought down, by reducing the cost of the testing, and by tort reform which would reduce the lawsuit costs.

If Western countries continue with their expensive ways in medicine, Communist China will replace us in medical technology leadership.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 479183 posted on 3-11-2013 at 12:19 Reply With Quote

Moved to correct part of forum. This response to Li-fi wasn't on topic as far as I can see but might be interesting enough for its own thread.
delanti
Custom User Title

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Gaining momentum

[*] Post 479242 posted on 4-11-2013 at 14:19 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

If Western countries continue with their expensive ways in medicine, Communist China will replace us in medical technology leadership.

This don't have anything to do with drugs but I have an aversion against putting anything made in China in my mouth.lips_sealed

MMMMMM good

Not fit for dogs
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.