Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: PC Boots, but doesn't!
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 478866 posted on 28-10-2013 at 05:58 Reply With Quote
PC Boots, but doesn't!

Here's a wacky one for you. Friend has an HP desktop. Reasonable spec, but nothing flashy. It would not boot into Windoze for her so she gave it to a friend who is in the business to fix. He could not find out what is causing the problem suggesting might be MOBO. I trust his judgement but friend wanted a "second opinion", so, here I am, and my diagnosis is similar, except.........

System Runs through POST ok, BIOS reports all is well. I can boot from an UBCD and Hiren to their menu and Windows will go through the "loading" bit, and that is as far as anything gets. I tried memtest from both Hiren and UBCD, and the program loads but then does no more. If I try sysinfo on either CD, same. Nothing will run once booted. Even stripping machine down to bare essentials has not shed any light. I've got HDD loaded into my USB cradle and backed all info up, but nothing happens in the machine. POST seems to think all is well, one beep on start or one loooong beep if I take all RAM out, so BIOS seems good. I'm leaning towards MOBO, but it could also be PSU, can't be heat as machine isn't on long enough to generate any. Stupid thing is, if I start by replacing one thing "on the off chance" I might end up building a whole new machine using their "old" case for more than a brand new machine would cost them.

Ideas?
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 478872 posted on 28-10-2013 at 11:43 Reply With Quote

Can it boot into safe mode?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 478873 posted on 28-10-2013 at 11:51 Reply With Quote

I wish!!! The best I can say is that it will boot into DOS. But I can't run anything then 'cause it won't!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.