Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Ruby's new computer
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 478328 posted on 16-10-2013 at 01:13 Reply With Quote
Ruby's new computer

Her best friend (which one is her best friend depends on when she is speaking, she has three who share the title)'s husband put together one for her. The tower sits on the floor, near me. I have not powered it up yet. It has Windows XP in it. The memory and speed are each better than my best computer.

It is the tower--no monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, or even a power cord. i will be assembling these.

Who would care to advise me on getting it running and established? I'm thinking I have to power it up with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I think I have an optical wheel mouse around here, somewhere.

Until I can get it hooked up to the internet, I'll be getting any drivers or software downloaded on my computer hard drive, and then I'll use a USB thumb drive to port it over to the other.

Since I was not home when the tech guy from the internet connection people hooked up my computer, I don't know how to hook up Ruby's so as to get it running.

I have a router around here that I picked up at a church rummage sale. But, I won't get to that until I've got basics going on the new machine.
Redwolf5150
Mighty Faerie Hunter

Theme: KF Arctic Blue

Mood: Call Me GRANDPA!

[*] Post 478332 posted on 16-10-2013 at 02:00 Reply With Quote

Depending on how long it has been mothballed, that might take you a while.

I'd get a monitor, keyboard and mouse hooked up, boot it, then introduce it to the Internet pronto.

Some of those downloads may take a while. You might also be able to do them all at once.

Why make your job more difficult than it has to be.

;)
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 478334 posted on 16-10-2013 at 02:14 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Depending on how long it has been mothballed, that might take you a while.

I'd get a monitor, keyboard and mouse hooked up, boot it, then introduce it to the Internet pronto.

Some of those downloads may take a while. You might also be able to do them all at once.

Why make your job more difficult than it has to be.

;)

Thank you, RW.

The computer has not been mothballed, in its present form. The MB and memory were probably already in the tower. The friend just put in the hard drive (80 Gb) and installed the OS (which is licensed). It does look a little dusty, which I plan to improve. I favor the method of using artist brushes to gently sweep away the dust.;)

Since I've never hooked a computer up to the kind of connection I have now, I'm proceeding cautiously. Right now, I just have the one high-speed cable connection.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.