Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: False Prophets and Ministries
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 478127 posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:47 Reply With Quote
False Prophets and Ministries

I was looking up something else yesterday and Google - which is a mine of information - gave me links to all the "ministries" in the area. When I clicked on a couple of them it seemed to me that any Tom, Dick or Henrietta can set themselves up as a ministry and any money which they get is tax free. There were claims of feeding the hungry and things but no evidential proof. Even although a photo on the internet would not have proved their claims, there wasn't even that.

Don't you think that ministries should be regulated and transparent and pay to Caesar that which is Caesar's?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 478137 posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:44 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
it seemed to me that any Tom, Dick or Henrietta can set themselves up as a ministry and any money which they get is tax free.

Not if your tax structure is anything like that of the U.S.

In the U.S., anything set up as a non-profit organization will not pay income tax--it doesn't have anything at all to do whether it is a "ministry."

But, any money paid to employees for their time or services is taxable income. I have served such, and paid income tax on it.

Now, if people donate their work without compensation, they are not taxed--but, it is not unfair for no taxes to be paid, when the workers are not paid, either.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 478139 posted on 12-10-2013 at 15:04 Reply With Quote

It was an American situation I was talking about actually. It is my firm belief that many of these "ministries" are scams and that the gullible give donations which are then not used in the way that they were led to believe.

One of our "God channels" has relocated out of the UK, as far as their official headquarters are concerned, because they don't want scrutiny of their accounts. I am most displeased that my parents have been sending them money on the back of promises made on tv.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.