Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Finding a tax file by my computer
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 477145 posted on 19-9-2013 at 17:37 Reply With Quote
Finding a tax file by my computer

In the U.S;, employers used to mail paper copies of some tax information a form WW-2, to each employee. The W-2 form includes the employee's total pay for that tax year, and how much money was deducted from that pay so as to be sent to the national and state governments as a sort of pre-payment for their taxes. Each employee is responsible to the national and local government to compute what, exactly, they owe, and they either ask the government to send back the extra (usually), or write a check to pay the shortfall (less common for wage-earners).

Ruby gave her tax stuff to a man who accepts payment for working through the process, for her national (=federal) taxes. He moved away.

Now, she still is supposed to submit a state (Illinois) tax record, but she cannot get her W-2s from him. She thinks several of the records were made available via the internet to her. I think I printed out at least some of them for her.

But, I've been going through my hard drive files, and haven't found any for 2012. I did find one .pdf file for one employer for 2011 (not the year I need).

Is there another format I should be searching through? I am feeling kind of stuck. I wouldn't expect it to be a .doc file, because those are so easily edited/manipulated.

She tells me she got at least one paycheck from each of five employers. I need to know how much was withheld from her pay for Illinois taxes, so she can ask for the appropriate amount back, after all the computations are made.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 477148 posted on 19-9-2013 at 18:14 Reply With Quote

Just list all your documents by date and all types should show up. Your only problem will be if you deleted files or if Ruby got them as attachments but didn't save.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 477151 posted on 19-9-2013 at 18:41 Reply With Quote

Is there a way to distinguish between all types of documents, and non-document files?

I use Total Commander 5.5 for most of my searches, but I can go back to Windows Explorer if there is a reason to do so.

Since I haven't found anything so far--and, I am very much a "save-the-document-before-you-close" guy--I'm thinking that she might have done it on some other computer. The tax man's, for example.:(
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.