Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Young black males converting to Islam.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 476052 posted on 20-8-2013 at 14:26 Reply With Quote
Young black males converting to Islam.

There was an item on the news over the weekend about the large number of young black males from Christian families becoming radicalised Muslims.

This news came after I had just read a book about the Viking invasion of Britain (although it wasn't technically "Britain" back in the 9th Century) and how the Saxons were steadily converting the Norsemen to Christianity - often by force or bribary.

It occurred to me that if you can change your religion at the drop of a hat in that way, you can't have a great deal of real faith in any religion. I mean, if you are going to believe in a God, surely it has to be a whole hearted belief to be of any value and that fact that people can change their beliefs so easily does make you wonder what they want from religion in the first place.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 476053 posted on 20-8-2013 at 16:02 Reply With Quote

I disagree oddly enough. It might just be that one religion's version of God is more rational for you than your own. I'm about to begin a thread on superstition but when I was thinking about it it made me wonder how much religion is actually just superstition.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 476077 posted on 20-8-2013 at 23:39 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
There was an item on the news over the weekend about the large number of young black males from Christian families becoming radicalised Muslims.

This news came after I had just read a book about the Viking invasion of Britain (although it wasn't technically "Britain" back in the 9th Century) and how the Saxons were steadily converting the Norsemen to Christianity - often by force or bribary.

It occurred to me that if you can change your religion at the drop of a hat in that way, you can't have a great deal of real faith in any religion. I mean, if you are going to believe in a God, surely it has to be a whole hearted belief to be of any value and that fact that people can change their beliefs so easily does make you wonder what they want from religion in the first place.

I think you and I are near enough to the same age, that we came from a culture which mostly subscribed to the idea that some ideas are true when compared to reality, and that others are false when compared to reality. Truth-oriented people want to know things as they really are, and deal with life on a reality-oriented basis.

Dr. Francis Schaeffer wrote a great deal about thinkers and culture-shapers who had given up on the idea of rational, propositional truth. Instead, they held that contradictory things could be true, so one could not really know anything in a meaningful way.

Those who have grown up since then have thought in terms of subjective truth, as if each person could establish his own set of truths, which he might even change, and others could have their own truths.

This has manifested in the Christian denominations as buffet Christianity--people who take the parts they like and pass over parts they don't like. Historic Christians have been alarmed when this takes the form of passing up prohibitions against categories of sin (e.g. sexual sin, or drunkenness).

A person converting to historic Christianity would find a whole system of beliefs grounded in truths about reality. And, a person who converted to Islam ("Submission") would find concrete expectations with respect to living a life of submission to Allah as Mohammed described it.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.