Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Change to American law on some crimes
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 475709 posted on 12-8-2013 at 17:58 Reply With Quote
Change to American law on some crimes

Quote:
Saying the U.S. prison population is "outsized and unnecessarily large," U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder today said he has ordered changes in Justice Department polices so that some low-level, nonviolent drug offenders with no ties to gangs or drug cartels won't be charged with crimes that impose "draconian mandatory minimum sentences."

In a speech at the annual meeting of the American Bar Association's House of Delegates in San Francisco, Holder said the United States can't prosecute or incarcerate its way to becoming a safer nation. He urged that incarceration be used to "punish, deter, and rehabilitate -- not merely to warehouse and forget."

What do you think?
delanti
Custom User Title

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Gaining momentum

[*] Post 475723 posted on 12-8-2013 at 23:30 Reply With Quote

I guess by low level he is not talking about the marijuana stores and dealers in 20 States that his department refuse to prosecute for breaking the Federal law. waveysmiley
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 475728 posted on 13-8-2013 at 00:35 Reply With Quote

In addition to being a political hack, Holder is an idiot.

The threat of prison as a penalty for criminal prosecution has forcefully persuaded many people to get addiction treatment. Some who would never take it of their own initiative take it in a prison-or-treatment context, and go on to lead clean and sober lives. Even those who do not take it to heart sometimes live clean while they are under court supervision, and some of them learn principles of sober living to which they will return later, when they have hit bottom and sincerely want a clean and sober life for themselves. Any step toward sobriety, any time of drug-free living, is to the good.

But, if there is no prison threat, all of these prison-or-treatment choices are thrown out, and people who were not ready to seek treatment of their own accord will go through more personal hell and hurt to those who love them before they will do what is needed to get better.

Many of my clean addict friends will say, "I just started learning what an addict needs to do to get better because the court required it, and it was easier than going to prison. But then, it took hold in my life, and I found out it worked. Now I've got a new life."
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.