Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Putting a password lock on my PC
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 475454 posted on 3-8-2013 at 22:03 Reply With Quote
Putting a password lock on my PC

I have noticed that visitors in my house sometimes use my computer without my permission. (I am in the habit of leaving it on, with certain browser windows open, such as KF ;)) I would like to be able to password-lock the computer with the programs still running, so that it would not accept mouse input until the password was entered.

I run Windows XP Pro.

Can someone recommend a program that would do this?

If not, the next best thing would be a program that would suspend all further activity until a password was entered, and resume activity where it left off.

Any help?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 475455 posted on 3-8-2013 at 22:17 Reply With Quote

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/usercpl_create_password.mspx?mfr=true
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 475456 posted on 3-8-2013 at 22:50 Reply With Quote

Hmmm. I don't want to create a password that I would enter at the beginning of logging on as Scholar, before I started running any programs. If I have my browser open with six or seven windows, perhaps with a half-composed e-mail in one window, and part of a KF reply in another, and a partly-completed document in MSWord, I would like to be able to "lock" the computer in such a way that I could come back, enter the password, and resume what I was doing (which might even involve coming back with a long-loading page in the browser having finished loading). I used to just leave the computer on (with the monitor powered off to save electricity). But, sometimes I have come back to find someone has been using Internet Explorer while I was away, or Windows Media (do I have the name right?). I would rather not have stuff on the computer that we (Ruby and I) have not left.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.