Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Guide me in removing files from hard drive
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 474342 posted on 4-7-2013 at 14:52 Reply With Quote
Guide me in removing files from hard drive

My accumulation of files over the years seems to be weighing down my machine's speed and performance.

I don't even know how many files I may have from browsers saving something to speed things along if i visit the same page again, or files that represent incomplete downloads. Also, I have had to do an abrupt restart (interrupt the power and restart without the proper shut-down sequence) many times, and I don't know how many unneeded files this might have left on the machine.

But, I don't want to accidentally delete a file that is used by a program which will, for lack of that file, grind to a halt.

I have an icon on my desktop that says ccleaner. Is it a good choice to use?

I have recently noticed a Google chrome icon on my desktop, which I never intentionally installed. Will removal of that program help me free up significant hard drive space?

My hard drive is only 80 Gb, so a savings that would seem small on a more modern machine might help me.

Who cares to help me?

(This sounds like the sort of thing our recently-returned Top Cat used to help on.)
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 474346 posted on 4-7-2013 at 16:46 Reply With Quote

First of all tell people what type of computer you have, what OS you use and what programmes you definitely want to keep because you use them from time to time. (It's likely you need Flash but you may also need Quick Time etc etc)

Personally I go into Add/Remove programmes and do it one by one when I need to free up space. I removed Google Earth recently which although fun took up far too much space - haha.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 474348 posted on 4-7-2013 at 17:10 Reply With Quote

My OS is Win XP Pro and my computer was put together by a friend at a local computer shop.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.