Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Roman Catholics offended at remarks against religious schools
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 473877 posted on 19-6-2013 at 23:55 Reply With Quote
Roman Catholics offended at remarks against religious schools

Story here. Catholic or Protestant religious schools were said to be divisive.

My own religious heritage strongly supports education as part of our Christian life, including schools at all levels which teach in agreement with our doctrines and traditions.

A thorough knowledge of a Christian perspective is not a bad thing, in my opinion.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 473886 posted on 20-6-2013 at 01:49 Reply With Quote

I wonder if he would have made that same statement against schools that teach Islam as part of their curriculum? I think his point may have been in the context of the Irish conflicts of recent history, however, it is not constructive to single out one group, i.e. Christians, as being divisive when there is a lot more conflict caused by other groups in this world. Can you imagine the outcry if he wanted to ban, say, a Homosexual school?
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 473890 posted on 20-6-2013 at 06:20 Reply With Quote

His words were ill-advised and somewhat out of date. I was educated in the UK in RCs schools and, at that time, they were definitely devisive. We were taught that RC was the only true religion. We were not even supposed to enter a non RC church. Protestants were seen as inferior and non christians as 'poor heathens who knew no better'. There was even a belief that RC educational standards were better than non RC - may have been an element of truth in that one as the teachers were a lot stricter and kept order in the classroom.

Fortunately the world has moved on a lot since then - but - Obama is from a muslim background, so maybe he has a hidden agenda.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.