Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Internet radio, anyone?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 469628 posted on 30-1-2013 at 01:39 Reply With Quote
Internet radio, anyone?

I remember that, some years ago, I had an "internet radio" program which was sort of like a viewer, but which played streaming audio instead of showing pics or videos. The audio streams were from a list of radio stations that put their live content on the web as streaming audio for wider consumption than their radiowave broadcasts would reach. I would choose a stattion (there were listed with a description of their focus, such as pop music, contemporary Christian music, news discussion, etc., with a note as to the station's call letters and place of origin.

I used to be able to listen to the radio shows in this way. However, as faster internet became more common, it became harder for me to get the audio streams to play reasonably well. I suspected the sampling rate was changed, packing more data into the audio stream, and my phone line connection could not keep up well. There would be pauses to buffer the information, and then it could never catch up, so it would eventually skip.

Does anyone here use internet radio? Do you know about it? Do you know of any good internet radio programs (executable programs is how I mean the word), or do you just use your browser to go to a web site?

I used to use Realplayer to handle the streaming, if I wasn't using a radio-style program, but that was years ago. I don't know if Realplayer still competes with other programs for consumer use.
waffler
Proud to be called a BRIT

Theme: KF Blue

[*] Post 469631 posted on 30-1-2013 at 03:07 Reply With Quote

Pandora.com
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 469633 posted on 30-1-2013 at 06:51 Reply With Quote

Spotify. Pandora only works in the US.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.