Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Les Mis - the two sides of Christianity
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 469241 posted on 17-1-2013 at 21:23 Reply With Quote
Les Mis - the two sides of Christianity

interesting article

Quote:
After watching "Les Miserables" in the theater, I wanted to stand up at the end and shout, "This is what Christianity really is!" kind of like what Peter Enns wrote on his blog. But there are two Christianities represented in "Les Mis" -- by the police inspector Javert and the convict Jean Valjean -- and though Valjean's version triumphs in the film, Javert's Christianity is winning big time in today's America. Some say Javert represents "justice" and Valjean represents "mercy," so we need a happy mix of the two, but that's already choosing Javert's Christianity, because Valjean exhibits not only mercy, but an alternative justice that is incomprehensible to the penal retributive justice of modernity. The question of whether we see the world through the eyes of Javert or Valjean amounts to our understanding of justice. For Javert, justice is retribution in the interest of maintaining an abstract order; for Valjean, justice is solidarity in the interest of personal love.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 469255 posted on 18-1-2013 at 11:44 Reply With Quote

Interesting, I must see it.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.