Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: A dark day for the CoE
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 466990 posted on 20-11-2012 at 22:57 Reply With Quote
A dark day for the CoE

Just get back to the kitchen

Quote:
After a tortuous 12-year legal process, which secured strong backing in all but two of the 44 dioceses, the move was denied final approval by just six votes.
It marks a disastrous end to the tenure of Dr Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, after he pinned his hopes for a legacy on the outcome. It also presents a dramatic challenge to his successor, the Bishop of Durham, Justin Welby, who staked his authority on a vote in favour.
Dr Williams spoke of “deep personal sadness” as one bishop described it a “very dark day for the Church”. Bishop Welby said he needed time to reflect on the vote.
MPs expressed dismay and warned that the decision would intensify calls for the disestablishment of the Church of England.
The decision averts the prospect of a small group of conservative evangelicals and traditionalist Anglo-Catholics, who object to women bishops on theological grounds, from leaving the Church.

What thinkest thou?
Redwolf5150
Mighty Faerie Hunter

Theme: KF Arctic Blue

Mood: Call Me GRANDPA!

[*] Post 466992 posted on 21-11-2012 at 01:17 Reply With Quote

If you can't have women priests through grand poobah bishop, I want no part of it.

kewl_glasses
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 466997 posted on 21-11-2012 at 10:07 Reply With Quote

I think they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Before the vote I was wondering what effect a yes vote would have on African Churches and some of the stricter indigenous churches who are vehemently against the idea.

But that is the reason given by most of the people I have heard interviewed since the vote. They did it despite being in favour of women Bishops because they wanted to find a way to move forward together.

Another point made was that as time goes by, liberal thinking church members are abandoning the church and leaving behind the hard line conservatives who will die before they allow women to be equal.

I am not a believer, but I do see the church and religion generally as a potential source of much good. And its an institution that has been there since my childhood and even before! And its alway sad to see these things gradually disappear.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.