Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Cern and the case for God
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 465565 posted on 20-10-2012 at 08:38 Reply With Quote
Cern and the case for God

A meeting of minds

Quote:
Now that the Higgs has finally been spotted - a scientific discovery that takes us closer than ever to the first moments after the Big Bang - Cern has opened its doors to scholars that take a very different approach to the question of how the Universe came to exist.

On 15 October, a group of theologians, philosophers and physicists came together for two days in Geneva to talk about the Big Bang.

So what happened when people of such different - very different - views of the Universe came together to discuss how it all began?
crikey
junk male

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: gruntled

[*] Post 465571 posted on 20-10-2012 at 14:38 Reply With Quote

Well, as an ignorant layman and a non-practicing catholic, I cannot see there ever being a fundamental "meeting of minds" between them. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing - the scientists will push on for more proof of their theories, while the philosophers will wait for the Second Coming!

On which, I can recommend a rather hilarious book on just that latter point - "The Second Coming", subtitle "Sent from heaven, raising hell", by John Niven. The Independent on Sunday describes it as "Confrontational, Blasphemous .... and Bloody Funny"!
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 465577 posted on 20-10-2012 at 15:24 Reply With Quote

I would think the religious people will think "Well, who's to say that God didn't create things, even if the scientists find out how?"

None of that would prove, or disprove, the existence of God.

As She who must be obeyed has stated, The Bible describes the "What" and "Why", not the "How".
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.