Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Free government mobile phones for the poor
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 462170 posted on 23-8-2012 at 01:31 Reply With Quote
Free government mobile phones for the poor

The program allows poor people to sign up for mobile telephones that are "free" (that is, they are paid out of government funds). Each month, one gets the first 250 minutes free. After that, the phone will not let you talk, unless you buy additional time on it.

My family is poor enough to qualify, and my wife is tired of me cutting my phone conversations short, claiming the per-minute expense is using down what I have paid to keep the little phone on. So, she signed up for one and gave it to me to use.

The phone has no indicator on it, to tell how many minutes a person has left, and it doesn't tell you in advance when the new minutes will be put on. I have gone through the settings procedure to get it to display am-pm time, but it stubbornly displays the time only in 24-hour format. The charger that came with the phone would not charge it AT ALL, because the connector of the charger did not fit the phone charger input--I had to buy a charger of the Blackberry type to get it to turn on.

No phone company would long survive that depended on satisfying its customers with such a product--but, since it is a government product, it gets by.

These phones are popularly called Obama phones. They look good, and one might expect them to work, but in reality they are a disappointment.:P:P:P

Does the UK or Australia have government phones for the poor?

I can see the utility of providing a phone for unemployed people looking for work. How could a person compete for a job, if he can leave no number at which to be called?
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 462171 posted on 23-8-2012 at 04:46 Reply With Quote

Not in the UK as far as I know, Scholar, and I hope that no-one ever suggests it. I mean no disrespect to you - but mobile phones are not an essential and I would consider it a gross waste of taxpayers money. The UK Scroungers Club is already more than well supported.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 462181 posted on 23-8-2012 at 06:49 Reply With Quote

I'm astounded that you take this from the government you criticise at every turn. Not only one phone, but two? Just so you can keep in touch with Ruby? And then you complain about the quality? For shame! waggyfinger
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.