Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Help needed
grayles

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: lurking

[*] Post 460916 posted on 30-7-2012 at 13:44 Reply With Quote
Help needed

I have a few security cameras attached to an old tower running XP, which has been turned off for about a year. I came to turn it back on but just got some beeping noises instead. Decided to put a new tower with windows 7 so emailed the card suppliers in Japan who gave me a link to download the files as I could not locate the original setup disk.
Kaspersky gave a warning of the Trojan ďgame thiefĒ in the download but when asked about this the supplier said it was a false positive.
I tried loading it onto the newer tower but the cameras just came up as masked which I suspect might be due to the graphics card( and to be fair the software does not claim to be compatible with windows 7). But I am also a bit wary due to the ďtrojanĒ. However the new software does seem a lot easier to use than the old version.
So I have decided to use my original tower.
The only way I can get this tower to boot is to remove the cmos battery for 30 seconds, which gives a report of putting the bios into default settings. However if the unit is shut down then restarted then it just hangs on a black screen on the boot sequence, and I again need to remoce the cmos battery.
One point ,I took the hard drive out of the newer tower and put it into the old tower also removing the cmos for a while and it actually booted up into windows 7, located and installed all the drivers apart from the graphics card( which Iím guessing is too old to be compatible with windows 7). I didnít think this was possible??
I tried installing XP but got as far as rebooting then hung with a black screen again.
I could get away with using the original hard drive as once booted up will be left on. However, I would like to use the new better software. But what I donít want to do is overwrite the old with the new software, find it is the software fault that the camera is still masked and not be able to revert to the old software.
I anybody can understand what Iím on about then any suggestions?
The first thing I guess is to find out why the computer will not boot without first removing the cmos.
Graham.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 460959 posted on 31-7-2012 at 00:23 Reply With Quote

First thing I would try is replacing the CMOS battery, They are only a couple of bucks, even though yours sounds ok, that may be all that's needed. The old hard drive may also be a problem even though the problem is rare there is such a thing as "sticktion" where the HDD wont spin up as the bearings have frozen. In time, they warm up and work properly again, until powered down for a period.
As for the new software and the false positive, that is known to happen with programs that require low level access to hardware and software, which is entirely probable with camera monitoring stuff. Just to be certain, I'd try a clean instal of windoze, load your mobo drivers and stuff, then your monitoring software and test to make sure it all works. Once that is happy, load your other software, testing along the way, loading security last. Of course, if you can, do not connect to the net until all is running as you want it.
Unfortunately, I cannot be more specific as I know nowt about camera monitoring software,.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.