Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: No signal to monitor
CrazieMom
Full time Regular

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 460210 posted on 13-7-2012 at 23:58 Reply With Quote
No signal to monitor

Went to turn on my computer and the monitor says "no signal".

Checked and the monitor is working. When I push the power button the light on the front is on and the fans are running, no sounds that the HD is booting.

Tested the HD and its working. No light on the keyboard.

I took out the RAM and held the power button for a few and heard 3 beeps. I put the RAM back in and it started. Badly, but it starts. Took forever to load and did a scan disk but it did load. Ran it for awhile and it worked great, like it normally would. Did a few scans and cleaned out old files, ran a virus scan for good measure. I shut it down to see if it would start again. It didn't fully shut down, after a few minutes I had to cut power to it. Pushed the power button and no signal again. Tried a few more times and gave up. I reseated the RAM again and it started, this time it started normally. I used it for awhile it worked great and it seemed to be fixed. I shut it down to see if it would shut down right and it did. Hit power to turn it back on and nothing. Just the poer light and the fans running.

I'm really busy and I don't have a lot of time to devote to this or spare parts to test things so I took it to a computer shop. He looked at it today but all he did were the same things I did. He did set it to the inboard video and there was no signal so it doesn't seem to be my video card. He said he got it running but it wouldn't restart after shut down. The same thing I got when I reseated the RAM.

He's talking about getting another motherboard. I don't know if a failing MB would let the computer keep starting after reseating the RAM. I talked to him this morning and I asked him to test the power supply and to test the RAM first before ordering parts it might not need.

I don't know anything about bios or CMOS, could this problem be caused by either of those? Bad CMOS battery or the CMOS needing reset? I googled some, but didn't find anything helpful. Read something someone posted somewhere that they had the same problem and it was a bad network card. I don't see how that could cause a no signal problem and when I had it running I went on the Internet with no trouble.

The computer guy didn't call back before he closed so I assume he hasn't figure it out yet.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might possibly be?

My computer is a 2005 Gateway. 3ghz, 4 gig ram, nvidia vid card, not sure which one, win xp... I can't really give any more specs without the machine here.

This is the first problem I've had with the computer and it's still more than good enough for what I use it for and it's cheaper to fix it than buy a new one.

I need it back as soon as possible. And typing this on my iPod really isn't fun.
John Barnes
Radical Freethinker

Theme: Coffee

Mood: benign

[*] Post 460212 posted on 14-7-2012 at 00:22 Reply With Quote

With 4 gigs of ram you must have have least two sticks, try using one stick and firing up, then try the other by itself, if one has gone faulty it will deter the other from starting, don't touch the gold segments at the bottom of the ram rub a pencil rubber across to clean any detritus, and make sure each stick is securely pressed down into its slot they have a certain way to insert. jmb

xp will run happily on one gig of ram if you have to purchase some new ram all windows 32 bit has overkill with 4gigs as it is only capable of using 3.3 gig, its only on 64 bit you can use up 128 gig of ram
CrazieMom
Full time Regular

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 460213 posted on 14-7-2012 at 01:14 Reply With Quote

I know it can only utilize 3 gig, but the chips have to be put in in pairs so I got 4@1gig. At the time I was working on large graphics and had several programs all running at once and I needed more than the 1 gig it came with.. The extra RAM made it run so much faster.

Does it sound like a RAM problem more than a MB problem?

I'll call him Monday and find out if he's checked the RAM. I shouldn't have given up so soon and taken it to the shop. I needed to use it and it wasn't working right and I was hoping the computer guy could fix it quickly and I could get back to work..

So frustrating.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.