Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Aquarium alkalinity (Dr. John or others may know from chemistry)
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 459664 posted on 3-7-2012 at 19:29 Reply With Quote
Aquarium alkalinity (Dr. John or others may know from chemistry)

I learned after my aquarium already had fish (my dear wife would not wait until the water was tested and ready) that my town has extremely alkaline water. I gave the tank several buffer treatments with sodium biphosphosphate, but the indicator stayed pure blue (too alkaline). After that, I used a couple of ammonia-chlorine treatment tablets that did not have their chemistry on the box--still, pure blue indicator. I do not want to "fill the tank" (exageration) with buffering agents, so I am now thinking I should use some acid. An aquarium problem post elsewhere suggested hydrochloric acid, but I don't know where to get it.

There are many household acids. Vinegar? Salycilicic acid? (i.e. aspirin) What would be effective, without harming the fish?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 459665 posted on 3-7-2012 at 19:38 Reply With Quote

We had fish a long time ago but I think others on here keep fish now.

Generally, if you suddenly change the pH of your water you could kill the fish - any parameter changes (pH, temperature, hardness etc) need to be changed slowly, and if you have sensitive fish you shouldn't change the pH at all.

One good way is to use peat in your filter, this softens your water and will lower pH or put in bog wood decorations, this is wood preserved in peat so the pH will lower slowly once this is in.
Redwolf5150
Mighty Faerie Hunter

Theme: KF Arctic Blue

Mood: Call Me GRANDPA!

[*] Post 459666 posted on 3-7-2012 at 19:49 Reply With Quote

Get some Aquasafe for making tap water "safe" for fish. (Not the maintenance version). There are several other brands, the PetSmart house brand is also pretty good. You can get a small bottle that should last YOU, with a 10 gallon tank, at Walmart for about $4.

I would also suggest that you get a 2.5 gallon jug of spring water at the nearest Walmart (under $5) and do a 25% water change.

Save the jug for refilling and treating tap water for replacing what's lost to evaporation and for doing periodic water changes.

Hope you didn't lose any fish.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.