Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: I'm setting up an aquarium with an outside filter
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 459233 posted on 27-6-2012 at 02:21 Reply With Quote
I'm setting up an aquarium with an outside filter

I'm using the cottony filter material and the activated carbon (which they used to call activated charcoal). I think I remember the charcoal and fiber material go in side by side, with the fiber second so that it keeps the charcoal from flowing into the water stream that returns to the tank.

Yes, I'm too cheap to want to buy the cartridge filters that are easy but more expensive.

Who knows what I'm talking about? Can you verify my approach is correct?smokin:confused2
Redwolf5150
Mighty Faerie Hunter

Theme: KF Arctic Blue

Mood: Call Me GRANDPA!

[*] Post 459236 posted on 27-6-2012 at 05:29 Reply With Quote

If I'm understanding what you're asking, you are going with an outside filter unit that does NOT hang on the side of the tank. Some of the outside filters are made so you can buy the filter media in bulk and just reload the holders that you then stack in the best configuration for your set-up.

Just make sure you are not scrimping on the quality of your media or your fish WILL suffer.

I thought about going that route with our 90 gallon, but in the end opted to go with with one that hangs outside the tank and has dual filtration chambers (with disposable filters) and twin biowheels that further filter the water as it passes over them.

When I first got into fish, I had a 10-gallon with an under the gravel filter and HATED it.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 459254 posted on 27-6-2012 at 21:53 Reply With Quote

Redwolf, I AM using an outside filter that hangs on the back of the aquarium. I got it used, so I don't have directions with it, or a picture of it working. The pump pulls in water from a tube that goes into the aquarium, and it goes into an oblong rectangle that overflows back into the aquarium tank.

It looks as large as I used for my twenty-gallon tank years ago, but it is going to be used for a ten-gallon tank, so it should do a good job for the fish.;)
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.