Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Bootable Disk Suggestions.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 458376 posted on 8-6-2012 at 10:24 Reply With Quote
Bootable Disk Suggestions.

I'm finding it probably more useful to have a portable boot system available when I go out to fix 'puters. I know how to set up a Linux system, however, most of the tools that I tend to use are Windoze based. There is a way that I can set up Windoze on a HDD with my own set of utilities, however, it is a new field for me as I've not done similar since the good old days of DOS. I've seen many and varied devices, UBCD4Win being one.

Does anyone have any other Windoze suggestions and instead of CD a bootable USB HDD system where I can keep AV proggies etc. up to date?

I could search this out, but I'm hoping to find that someone has already solved this problem and I do not wish to re-invent the wheel. XP is the oldest system that I must support, so I'm thinking along the lines of an XP based system for maximum compatibility. Thinking about it though, W7 may be backward compatible enough to allow me to recover passwords, activation keys, deleted files, and security scans. My main concern, here, is the hardware requirements of W7.
grayles

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: lurking

[*] Post 458381 posted on 8-6-2012 at 11:46 Reply With Quote

I was given a copy of Spotmau Bootsuite 2011 a few weeks ago, which I ran from cd (says can be also used from usb), which I needed to remove the password to my sons computer (he is only 7 and changed his password then forgot what he changed it to).
I then used it a week later to recover some photos from my father in laws computer that would not boot. He was really stressed thinking he would lose the photos. This prog allowed me to get his photos, then repaired the problem.
I used it on W7, but it says it works on XP aswell.
Apart from the virus scanner it seems to do the rest of what you need. I don't know if this is what you want.
I guess the 2012 version does more, but I'm more than happy with this one as it was free.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 458383 posted on 8-6-2012 at 13:08 Reply With Quote

Thanks grayles I've already got more than enought utilities CDs, I'm trying to set up a HDD that is bootable into a Windoze environment that I can either fix a dud machine (as per your illustrations) or re-install Windoze and many and varied other software from. Like the Ubuntu Live CD, except, I want a Windoze Live HDD.

I've been looking, and the Windoze tool that supposedly allows you to do this (yep M$ has one) will not recognise my USB HDD as a removable device! I may need to muck around with BartPE (UBCD4Win) but it seems way too complex for my needs. If I can boot from the drive and then click on setup, I'll be happy.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.