Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Any Ideas For Turning Multiple Webpages Into Hard Copy Printouts
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 454550 posted on 7-3-2012 at 17:18 Reply With Quote
Any Ideas For Turning Multiple Webpages Into Hard Copy Printouts

Iíve taken it upon myself to break this question out from my recent post re my lost desktop problem.

Perhaps someone has found an efficient, and elegant, solution to this.

In my lost desktop problem, I was provided a URL to a Frank Langa solution that was spread out over 5 webpages.

I was NOT about to memorize the instructions that take 5 pgs; I need a hard copy printout in hand as I do something like this.

IF I used the print out capability of my browser for each webpage, I would wind up with a hard copy that also included scads of irrelevant advertisements, etc.,-distractions to focusing on the meat of the information. Did I mention that 5 webpages worth of printouts wastes a good deal of paper (did I also mention paper jams as inevitable)?

So I wound up doing the oft used copy and paste of EACH webpage into my favorite word processing program, and then manually deleted the extraneous material (NOT QUICK).

These 5 pages, using 1/4" margins (all round), wound up as 8 pages; unfortunately, however, the c & p method does NOT carry with it the image files, i. e., I wound up with just the text.

I could have opted to create a FREE PDF file of each webpage, and that would have saved the images, but Iím not to happy with the quality of the images when Iíve tried this previously, i. e., the images seem blurred. And it wouldnít have been a big deal to compile the 5 pdf pages into a single pdf document.

But my question stands? Is there some BETTER WAY to do this?

PS For the moderators: Iím perfectly willing to put up these instructions (for the moment sans images) into the public domain if you wish such a resource on this website of yours (most likely convert my word processing file into a Windows Notepad type text file); your wish is my command.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 454569 posted on 7-3-2012 at 21:17 Reply With Quote

Ain't copy/paste wonderful? ;)

Let the CD boot proceed normally and automatically through "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware..." to the "Windows Setup" screen.

The "Starting Windows" screen is a bit of an overstatement; it's just the setup process getting going. Windows, as we normally think of it, isn't running yet, and no changes have been made to your PC.

The "Welcome to Setup" screen is poorly worded; the "Repair" option we want isn't the one explicitly offered here. In fact, the repair option we want isn't shown at all. See the text for full detail.

The licensing screen gives no indication that this is a Repair and not a brand-new, from-scratch installation. But don't be alarmed. You're on the right track.

Our intent is to repair the same version of Windows as is on the setup CD, but another poorly worded screen makes it seem like you're upgrading a previous version of Windows or installing one anew. But don't let the bad wording alarm you; we're still on track for a nondestructive reinstall.

At long last, Setup begins to refer to a Repair option. Here, Setup should have found your damaged XP setup, which you can select and then press R to start the nondestructive repair.

The Repair operation replaces all potentially damaged system files with fresh copies from the CD.

There's no fanfare, but this is one of the nicer parts of the Repair process: Setup retains what it can in the current Registry so that already-installed hardware and software will remain installed.

With the system files freshly copied and the Registry ready for rebuilding, the system needs to reboot. Remove the CD from the drive so that the PC will boot to the hard drive instead of to the CD.

When Setup resumes, it will appear that you're performing a full, from-scratch setup. But don't worry--you're still indeed repairing your existing version of XP.

The Repair version of the setup process skips or shortens many steps because it already has the information it needs from the existing setup. For example, Repair's "installing devices" and the network setup steps are both much faster and require less user input than a new setup does.

ust as with "installing devices," the network setup proceeds rapidly because Setup can reuse many of the configuration details from the current installation. In fact, a Repair setup takes far less time than the installation progress bar indicates.

The "completing installation" screen means most of the heavy lifting is done, and you're just minutes away from finishing the repair operation.

With the bulk of the repair work done, your PC needs to reboot once more and will do so automatically. The reboot will take a bit longer than a standard boot, but this is normal.

The Repair process ends with still more screens borrowed from the full setup.

The final steps in the Repair process pass very quickly, and you'll soon reach the last screen in the Repair operation, a "thank you."

With a final, fully normal reboot, you're done. Your copy of XP should be as good as new, but with all your previously installed hardware, software, and user configuration data undamaged!
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 454599 posted on 8-3-2012 at 16:09 Reply With Quote

Well you've certainly cut to the heart of the matter in no uncertain terms with your reply. Parsimony is a great asset. Well done.

I will cover this in my other topic, but I ran into problems with Frank's solution, and was forced, via failure, to try it multiple times, and much to my surprise, I did pretty much wind up memorizing each step of his process.

BUT, from a wishful (magical) thinking perspective, I sure do wish (upon the proverbial star) that multiple webpages could be readily condensed with images to the heart of the material.

By the way, as predicted my NEW laser jet (B & W) printer balked (burped) at a printout of a measly 8 pages. More time wasted.

Thanks
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.