Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Unable To Get To WinXP Desktop
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 454384 posted on 2-3-2012 at 16:01 Reply With Quote
Unable To Get To WinXP Desktop

The core problem is that I can no longer boot up to desktop on my WinXP OS (Home Edition).

I can pinpoint when/how this problem occurred. Earlier this week Avast AntiVirus (the free home PC version) released a program upgrade (Ver 7.0.1407) that was, based on the Avast User Forums, a disaster re bugs and consequences.

It hung up my system, and I presumed that by uninstalling it, I could at least get basic functionality back. So thatís what I did. But the uninstall created a new set of problems for UNKNOWN reasons re Ďwhyí, and thus this post.

I can no longer get to desktop. I can boot up to Safe Mode, and work that without any visible issues. Iíve also checked out BIOS and my hard drive is clearly the boot up HD, and working/functional re being able to use Safe Mode.

But with the OS install CD, I cannot do a repair/recovery process for no clearly visible reason as to why not, i. e., the repair/recovery process terminates (actually doesnít even begin to try to run) without any error message-so thatís the end of that route.

What Iím left with is this: I get one of the two mobo splash screens (why NOT both? I canít even guess at as to why); I ALSO get the XP start up splash screen (right after the mobo screen), and its progress bar for about 10-15 seconds time wise, and then I get a blank monitor screen for several seconds, and then the mobo splash screen reappears, and I have a loop of the mobo splash screen, the XP splash screen, progress bar, ad infinitum.

I am at a loss as to what the basic problem is, and what I could try to do to intervene (resolve the problem), and am particularly perplexed as to why Safe Mode works, apparently, normally (example, I can actually transfer files while in Safe Mode to a USB stick which leads me to conclude that my HD has NOT been totally wiped out by the Avast uninstall, but just what file(s) are missing that are needed to obtain desktop boot up eludes me).
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 454404 posted on 2-3-2012 at 21:14 Reply With Quote

The repair/recovery you tried. What was it, exactly?

If all else fails, I tend to take this route:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/189400897
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 454410 posted on 3-3-2012 at 00:08 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
The repair/recovery you tried. What was it, exactly?

If all else fails, I tend to take this route:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/189400897

Thanks so much for this URL; I have reviewed/read all of his instructions.

I have NEVER EVER run across a better, as in well written, series of instructions re a WIN OS problem. Whoever this man is, his work, and lucidity, is outstanding. I will take this on tomorrow.

By the way, I can see now why my attempt using the OS install CD, did not work, i. e., this individual takes great pains in pointing out the very poor wording that the WIN OS team used in creating the repair function (on the install CD), and what to expect re what is really happening 'under the hood' as the repair process unfolds.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.