Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Warm socks
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 447832 posted on 11-11-2011 at 01:39 Reply With Quote
Warm socks

I have had reason to be spending time in coldish outdoor temperatures, and found my booted feet were getting cold. Two pairs of socks were some improvement, but not great. (I wear plush cotton socks.)

I looked at socks in a farm store, where a brand call WigWam seemed to be the best. A pair of their best socks cost $16!shocked_yellow I picked one less pricey--$10 for the pair--with the claim that they were good for hiking, and would keep feet from getting too hot or too cold, with moisture wicked away from the feet. These, too, proved a disappointment. I am thinking of returning them for a refund--that seems too much to pay for socks that don't function well.

I bought two pairs of socks at $5 per pair, that are 70% wool, and I thought they would surely keep my feet warm. Again, they haven't seemed to do well when my feet perspire.

Does anyone here recommend a formula for warm socks? Do I have to pay premium prices? Some of the ones advertized for cold weather are acrylic on the inner part, with a wool blend outside--do they really work? Was Wigwam just a fluke in not delivering the warmth I expected?
waffler
Proud to be called a BRIT

Theme: KF Blue

[*] Post 447834 posted on 11-11-2011 at 02:11 Reply With Quote

lok for thermal socks
Redwolf5150
Mighty Faerie Hunter

Theme: KF Arctic Blue

Mood: Call Me GRANDPA!

[*] Post 447884 posted on 11-11-2011 at 23:22 Reply With Quote

Take from someone with worst winters than you, don't skimp on your feet. You'll be miserable if you do.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.