Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: rebuild
delanti
Custom User Title

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Gaining momentum

[*] Post 444423 posted on 16-9-2011 at 16:08 Reply With Quote
rebuild

Ok guys I am going to need some help/advice here. My Gateway Athlon PC motherboard has gone belly up. I can get a new MB fairly reasonable. Board

I have installed modems, video cards, HD ect. but never messed with the MB before. What important things do I need to watch for in (a) removing old board? (b) installing new board?

Should I remove the processor before removing the board and should I install it on the new board before installing the board? waveysmiley
Katzy
Anything you like

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 444424 posted on 16-9-2011 at 17:41 Reply With Quote

This isn't a bad guide, Delanti.

http://computershopper.com/components/howto/replace-your-motherboard2

Probably a bit over-cautious, for me. But, I guess it's better than not being cautious enough. ;)
John Barnes
Radical Freethinker

Mood: benign

[*] Post 444431 posted on 16-9-2011 at 19:15 Reply With Quote

The most tricky part about a new motherboard is not the physical fixing into the case (about 6 screws)I fit it with the cpu attached and the memory if you so wish.
no the hardest part for a newbie is the actual connections from the start button and reset button onto the mother board
these are about 6 pins that have a power wires and the Led wires and the sound wires and the reset wires go onto the mother board pins
make a note of which is which and and where they go take your time over this and don't forget the 4 or 6 pin socket from the power unit that supplies extra power to the board if this is forgotten it will never start jmb
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.